Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Current State of Me 1-21

I'm going to shamelessly steal this idea from Merlin Mann's Most Days series. He does this in a video format though, so it's not a total rip-off. Anyway, each day (or as close to each day as possible) I'm going to outline several things that I think are worth your time. Here goes:

Listen: Fall Out Boy's new album Folie a Deux. Whether justified or not, I get a lot of stick for liking these guys, but this is another good effort from the Chicagoans.

Watch: The movie Frost/Nixon is excellent. Directed by Ron Howard, it was a limited release in the US, I have no idea where to get it, but I'm sure it can be found on the Internet somewhere.

Check out: Path Finder If you consider yourself a Mac power user, or you just want more out of the Finder, consider this alternative. It's not cheap, it's $40 for a full license, but if you need more power it's worth the upgrade (they have a free 30-day trial as well). It has a positively stunning feature set and is extremely powerful.

Read: Given that Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the historic inauguration yesterday, read the full text of the "I have a Dream Speech." I hadn't read this previously but I think that it's important to know the whole thing, not just the few lines that have become immortalized.

Thought: One of the ideas that I feel was kind of lost in the shuffle during the election campaign was when Obama talked about some sort of program for high-schoolers doing community work in return for government financial aid for college. This is so simple, but so brilliant. It's this sort of reinvesting the dividend of academic success back into our communities that will go so far towards strengthening our neighborhoods.


No comments: