Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Yes iPhone!

I had posted before why I hadn't gotten an iPhone. Well, with all the excitement over the new iPhone 3G, I finally broke down and got one. I didn't, however, get the 3G.

I bought a first generation model on eBay. So far I am loving it. I have the 2.0 software and have installed a number of apps. Aside from a few random application crashes, I haven't experienced any of the major problems that other people have complained of.

To avoid these problems with the 3rd party applications, I've pretty much been downloading applications and updates exclusively in iTunes and syncing them to the phone. On episode 100 of MacBreak Weekly, it was said that buying and updating apps on the phone might be the cause of a lot of these problems. This was before the 2.0.1 update, however, and its possible that that update solved the problem. Regardless, for now I'm sticking with the app store in iTunes.

My adventures with IMAP mail in Gmail and syncing with Mail.app and the iPhone have been pretty extensive in recent weeks. After much fiddling I have, however, found the magic voodoo to get all three working in sync, I'll share all the settings and the method for doing it in the next post. 

No comments: