Monday, February 11, 2008

Putting a damper on my SSD hopes...

So, the Macbook Air is pretty cool I guess. For most its really only a viable option as a mobile complement to a desktop computer at home, but its still a cool product. I have to say though that I am a bit disappointed in the price of the 64GB SSD drive option for the Air. 

$999 is very steep for 1TB drive, let alone a 64GB drive. Maybe I was just overly optimistic (or misinformed) but I was hoping that these drives would be a bit cheaper. For me at least, someone who's interested in using a SSD for my laptop, 64GB is the absolute lowest that I'd go. My iTunes library alone would fill about half that. I know I can offload it to an external drive and then reference it in iTunes, but I really want to be able to have my complete library with me at all times. Right now I have a 120GB drive with about 80GB full.

As file sizes for media grow larger and larger, it'll be interesting to see how this coincides with advances in hard drive design. It seems to me at least that solid-state drives are the future and yet they are seriously lagging behind in terms of capacity. SSD is a great idea and probably is the hard drive of the future, but the capacity is going to have to go up substantially and the prices down for it to gain widespread use. Perhaps its only a matter of time, but right now at least, SSD seems to be lagging quite far behind the needs of consumers.



No comments: